Friday, May 06, 2005

Cars (BMW and Mercedes not allowed)

Over the last couple of days I have been researching (mostly on the web) new cars to buy/lease/finance.

My parents, out of nowhere, bought a new Ford 500 (or five hundred? I don't know) it's pretty nice I guess, not my cup of tea, but all wheel drive is great. So I got to thinking I wouldn't mind something a little newer and more reliable.

I'm by no means rich or wanting to spend the rest of my life paying off some loan, so I'm leaning toward cheaper cars, 20,000 or so.

Which is kind of hard. Most cars are not cheap.

My dad suggested a Ford Focus. Aside from just not liking Ford that much, they aren't exactly all that nice looking to me (could certainly do worse, though)

Also thinking about a Cobalt (thanks Ryan) add a spoiler to that thing and it looks half badass, add a supercharged engine and it's even more enticing..but costly.

Of course, what I really want is a Subaru Impreza or WRX STI, but the cost on any of those, starting from a base model, adds up rather quickly.

More realistically, I want an older Toyota Supra, late 80's or early 90's. Those things were NICE (mmm, hatch). I prefer the "boxy" look of older cars, and the engine in them is insane (with turbo). They are just very, very hard to find, it seems..When you do, though, the seem to always be in great shape.

So I either hold out and look around for a Supra, hopefully finding one that could be financed at a cost of around 12,000 at most or keep looking at newer cars and get caught up in the chaos of all that.

We'll see.

13 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

You know where I stand on this issue.

I don't know what 20k is in USD.
I know what I'd buy and why I would buy it.

Subarus are almost too family-man like, I think. And you're young. The first car you really buy for yourself should be something "badass".

And speaking of badassness:

What is so badass about a spoiler?

They're a little sick. ;)

PS Ryan, come on, you know Dan better than that! He wants a DeLaurellilahlen.

9:10 a.m.  
Blogger D. said...

"Subarus are almost too family-man like"

see, you lose all credibility there. You might be confused, but I doubt it.

You no longer have the right to discuss automobiles with me.

Thanks and have a good day.

10:38 a.m.  
Blogger D. said...

And Ryan, the thing is, a Supra doesn't seem that attainable. Trust me.

I've never walked into a used Toyota lot or anything, but I doubt even they have them.

Plus part of me figures a new car..any new car is going to last longer than any used one.

Not always the case, but surely you understand what I mean.

10:40 a.m.  
Blogger Geoff said...

If you get a Subaru, make sure you tune the suspension. Those things are a blast to rally if you can find some unused dirt roads near home.

Take it from me, driving my dad's old '85 Honda accord. If it runs and it can rally, it's good enough.

3:00 p.m.  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Fine.

I retract my comment about Subarus being family cars. I didn't even bother to look at the model you had mentioned (though when I did I thought it looked like a sedan mixed with the Dukes of Hazard mobile).

Okay?

I still want to know, what it is about the spoiler that is so appealing.

Also.

...a new car..any new car is going to last longer than any used one.

You are wrong.

7:39 p.m.  
Blogger Stephanie said...

And thank you, you have a nice day as well.

7:40 p.m.  
Blogger Trevor said...

Hold out man, you will appreciate it more, once you get your hands on your dream car. Whatever happened to the Delorian? Now that would be cool to see.

10:28 p.m.  
Blogger D. said...

A DeLorean isn't really possible. Or else I'd be all over it, taking out loans and killing whoever stood in my way.

Also,

"...a new car..any new car is going to last longer than any used one.

You are wrong."

read on and you'd have seen I didn't mean it completely. Guess you missed that.

And spoilers are just..nice looking. It's a preference thing, nothing more..but what isn't?

(also, we could get into the whole "added Performance" debate, but on a car that isn't a race car, it isn't much of an issue performance wise)

8:55 a.m.  
Blogger Stephanie said...

So why not buy a used high quality car rather than a new mediocre one?

10:33 a.m.  
Blogger D. said...

THAT'S WHAT I'M THINKING OF DOING. DID YOU READ THE ORIGINAL POST?

11:34 a.m.  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Please do not buy a KIA.

PLEASE.

Hehehe...

OOH MOM AND FAIR ARE HERE!!! YESSSSS!!!

10:17 p.m.  
Blogger D. said...

Stephanie doesn't even know what she's talking about.

when is the last time she owned a car?

OH THAT'S RIGHT...NEVER!

PS. I'm not actually mad. Never was.

I thought about Kia, but I dunno. Something about them rubs me the wrong way. Maybe it's the horrid commercials.

8:49 a.m.  
Blogger Stephanie said...

FINE.

I've never driven a car.

But if you want to get super technical I have owned one!

And if a person would just LISTIN ;) to me they would realize I am not completely ignorant on the subject (maybe a little snobby, but not ignorant).

10:32 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home