Wednesday, May 18, 2005

See this movie.

I finally saw the film Zero Day.



I had to order it online after not being able to find it 'round these parts.

I first heard about it sometime last year and wanted to see it very badly, but unfortunately it did not see a wide spread theatrical release (as is the case with plenty of good films, it seems) so I was pretty much out of luck, and counted the days until a DVD release.

It is basically the video diary of Two kids who are planning an attack on their highschool.

The entire film (well, most of it) was shot using hand-held cameras, and usually from the perspective of one of the two main characters.

At first you are hit with a "this is a documentary" type feel, but it quickly starts to feel incredibly real thanks to the perspective and "amateur" type look.

I cannot recall a movie that has made me feel the way I did watching this one. You get to know the characters. They talk to their families and to each other just as we all do. You begin to see just how normal they are..

and at the same time you are left completely chilled more and more as the movie progresses. The climax, of course, is displayed all too realistically and will no doubt stick with me for days.

I enjoyed it immensely for its unique portrayal into the minds of these two guys and for being, more than anything, a film driven by character. One can also not discount the message it provides us all.

Very highly recommended.

Sidenote: It's also a bit of an inspiration, as Ryan, Trevor and I have tossed around some ideas for a short film of some kind.
It proves without a doubt that great film making can be achieved using little.

4 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

Hehehe...

I'll have to check it out.

7:18 p.m.  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Also, you have a knack for review-style writing.

Hint.
Hinty.
Hint.
Hint.

7:19 p.m.  
Blogger Trevor said...

Awesome, i bet it's along the lines of Elephant, but sounds more indepth.

7:36 p.m.  
Blogger D. said...

Elephant (which I also bought not long ago) is a good movie, the filming of it is the best part, though.

It lacks the character of the people in Zero Day, I feel.

Then again, I think that was the point in Elephant, to present everything completely indifferent like.

The two films definately have enough to stand apart, but if I had to pick one over the other, I'd pick Zero Day.

7:22 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home