Monday, April 18, 2005

Everybody dies

Went and saw The Amityville Horror yesterday afternoon. It was pretty good, as far as horror movies today are concerned.

Nothing real special or scary, but worth seeing, I'd say. Especially if you are a horror film buff, like myself.
Although, saying that, it's kind of puzzling that I've never seen the original version. I think I will set out to do that, though.

One complaint about the film, and about a lot of films today though is this:

Why on earth do we always have to settle for the "happy ending"? I'm seriously downright sick of it. Some films can pull it off and not let the end result appear too contrived, but jesus christ, I swear to god if I ever make a film, and it is a horror film...everybody will die. The bad guy will win.

Anyone that hasn't seen The Amityville Horror and doesn't want a "spoiler" (it really isn't) can stop here.

Nobody dies. We see no deaths (aside from the flashbacks, but they don't count). I'd say the movie would have been 86% cooler, better and more chilling if the main character, while possessed, had killed his entire family.

It could have ended how it started, and would have been easier for me to swallow.

Oh well. You know Hollywood.

3 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

As much of a Romantic Comedy lover I am, when it comes to horror movies I have always wondered that same exact thing.

Of all the genres, Horror and Independent are the two that could pull it off without pissing off their audience.

And just for once I'd like to see a realistic romantic comedy that ends with both parties either settling for someone else or alone. I mean, there is a sick kind of humor in that.

11:04 a.m.  
Blogger Trevor said...

I dont know i am seeing it this weekend, but as far as i am concerned remakes rarley out do the orginal. I am a fan of the original, so we will see.

OY romatic comedies are the lowest form of art anywhere, there all the same, predictable not to mention crappy storyline and worst of all, feature Hugh Grant...

4:09 p.m.  
Blogger D. said...

They are horrible, horrible things. And so is Hugh Grant.

5:17 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home