Tuesday, April 05, 2005

So long, Pope.

You know, I'm constantly annoyed by people who act a certain way, only because they think they should or are told they should.

When somebody dies, we're told the proper thing to do is to grieve, is to be respectful because, hey they ARE dead and they of course, deserve our respect.

Funny thing is, if you can't earn my respect while you are breathing my air, you aren't going to earn it in death.

I'll be honest, I do possess sort of a "sick" sense of humor...Maybe just a little twisted. The bottom line, though, is that when I feel the need, I do indeed say what I want. Because I can. Everyone should be given the right.

I was at work and a few of us started talking about the pope and his death. In more than one way I made it known that I simply did not care. This offended not only the people I was talking directly to, but a person who had simply been listening in to what I had been saying.

all she said was "not within earshot of me."

Which I ignored. I could tell she was a little offended. That's fine.

In the same vein, am I allowed to be offended when I turn on my local news and hear nothing about other world events because of the pope dying? am I allowed to be offended when I hear about yet another one of the pope's Cardinals molesting an innocent child?
or the fact that he, in his life, forgave such acts?

Am I? do I need permission?

No.

The truth is I did not know the pope, I am not religious in any way shape or form. Hell, I'd go so far as to say I'm the least religious person you might ever meet.

So the pope and his life (and now, his death) meant nothing to me, nor do the thousands who weep and cry for him.

There are people dying all over the world. Everyday, every second. I'd just as soon shed a tear for some stranger dying of cancer or yet another civilian from Iraq getting torn to shreds by those oh so well known American bombs than I would for a "holy man" who was placed on a pedestal by members of some over-blown and overzealous cult.

Have I lost my ticket to heaven, yet?

1 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

Hehe, maybe I'm imagining things, but I seem to recall you having an attitude of sorts even when you were ten. An attitude and big feet. (Skates.)

5:42 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home