Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Waking up.

Yesterday I went out and did my weekly DVD browsing thing. I picked up a movie which had been on my "want to see" list for some time.

That movie is Hotel Rwanda. A movie based on the true story and life events of Paul Rusesabagina, a hotel manager who sheltered and saved over 1000 refugees as well as his own family, from the Hutu militia.

To say this movie is "good" is an understatement. This is one of the most profound, emotional and downright powerful things I have ever seen.

It certainly is an eye-opener, in the way that it more or less pulls your eyelids right off, not allowing you to return to the way you were before you saw it.

the genocide that took place in 1994 saw over 1 million (yes, MILLION) people die. This event was more or less ignored by the rest of the world.

Genocide and mass murder on a scale such as this are enough to make the stomach turn, but one has to ask if ignoring it completely is any less sickening.

I will not lament any further on such events, or the complete ignorance of 90% of the Western world, but it goes to show you just how easily people can turn a blind eye.

I think anyone reading this would be well advised to know that such crimes continue even today in Sudan.

Over 300,000 lives of innocent Africans have been lost, thousands if not millions more have been left homeless and starving to death by government backed AND funded "Janjaweed" Militia's consisting of Arabs who systemactically rape, murder and destroy.

I will not pretend to be an expert on the subject, but I've set out to educate myself and already, can see that this has to be stopped. To deny people, any people, the right to life and peace is wrong. To sit back and pretend it isn't happening or that it will go away is just as wrong.

Learn. It must be stopped

2 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

Maybe you should join the Peace Corps. Seriously.

7:12 p.m.  
Blogger Stephanie said...

...That wasn't meant to sound snotty or anything. I just meant, truly, you could take even more action on your convictions.

11:02 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home