Thursday, June 02, 2011

Hell yes.

Short review: THAT'S MORE LIKE IT/10

I have to admit I wasn't really hyped for this album like I usually am. I'm not sure why. I guess a combination of a lackluster single (In a place of lesser men) and my disappointment in "Hospital Music" which I openly admit here and now.

That album didn't do a lot for me. Which will sound like madness to some people, but those are just my feelings (and obviously I still love it. I'm just saying)

Regardless, I of course bought this on Tuesday and have listened to it several times through, now. From the outset I knew it was a better album than Hospital Music. I sat in the parking lot and listened to the opening track, and then took off, knowing I was in for a good time.

I feel this is a far, FAR stronger album than Hospital Music. It just does a lot more for me. Perhaps inexplicably so. But it is what it is. That's how music works, right?

Stand outs for me are "What if I can't see the stars, Mildred?", "Non Populous" and "Shallow's Low" which just pretty much blow my mind.





The entire album is great, though...Save for "In a place of lesser men" which I still feel is a weak spot. Of course, in terms of Matthew Good means it's still a quality tune...it just does nothing for me at all.

So to me, this is his best solo record since Avalanche, which, really, will probably never be topped because it is a fucking masterpiece and is easily tied with The Audio of being for my favorite overall Matthew Good (band) album.

What do you guys think of it?

"you guys" being the few who read this blog and listen to the guy.

Also go ahead and argue with me about calling Hospital Music a disappointment. I'm up for that.

5 Comments:

Blogger Trevor said...

His Albums aren't bad, I can honestly say i like every album he has ever put out.

With that said, i wasn't over joyed with Hospital Music either. Same with with this new one.

I sat in my car after work on Tuesday and listed to it, honest opinion I'm not overly happy with it.

With that said Non Populous is fucking Incredible and that album is worth it for just that one song. Zero Orchestra I despise, i hate it, something about Trombones/big band sound or whatever that is seems wrong.

On thing i loved was the post rock undertones especially with Non Populous.

I have to give it another listen once i get it on my zune and get my pc hooked up. It was alright but definitely not his best.

For me The Albums Avalanche, White Light Rock and Roll Review and more importantly Vancouver are his best work. There isn't one song on Vancouver i don't like, up until this album came out it stayed in my car pretty much steady since it was released.

Its still pretty neat listening to him take a different approach.

7:47 p.m.  
Blogger D. said...

shit, I was tired when I wrote this. I actually meant to include Vancouver with Hospital music...as in they both were sort of letdowns for me.

I want another album live Avalanche, but people always go on about how his newer stuff is more personal or mature and how that someone makes it better and I think that's all horse shit.

11:09 p.m.  
Blogger Geoff said...

I actually liked a lot of what Hospital Music offered, though I will agree that this is a much, much stronger album.

I initially wrote Vancouver off as kind of a loss, but I gave it a second chance. It really only picks up after the fourth track, and from then on, it's pretty strong.

The only real fault with this album is the artificial brass-wind instruments. I'm with Trevor, they're annoying and entirely out of place in Matt's work, though I appreciate that he's so actively experimenting with his sound.

Avalanche and Beautiful Midnight are still my favorite albums to date, though both are relics from another time. I guess that's kind of the beauty of Matthew Good, is that his albums are metrics for the past. I can listen to Avalanche, and immediately, it feels like I'm 18 again and living it up (yeah right).

Anyway. Good post.

2:07 a.m.  
Blogger D. said...

I think you guys are crazy.

The Brass/wind arragements are awesome.

Especially in something like "how it goes" it works remarkably well and I dig it like crazy.

I will admit that Zero Orchestra was off putting upon first listen, but it has grown on me a HUGE amount and I think it's a pretty great song, now.

Partly because it is so different, but also because it just fucking sounds good, man. Listen to that cranked up with headphones and it's great.

I'd even say Zero Orchestra > anything off of Vancouver.

Yeah, I said it.


Sidenote: most underrated MG album = Loser Anthems. Goddamn. I am impressed every time I listen to it. For a collection of B-sides, it is remarkably solid. The only fault there is the noticeable lower recording quality, but even that adds a bit to the experience, I feel.

6:24 a.m.  
Blogger Geoff said...

Loser Anthems was great. I spent almost four years looking for it, since it was a limited pressing. Most of it ended up on In A Coma.

Flight Recorder from Viking 7 is still one of the most powerful songs in my collection.

10:30 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home